Close Menu
The Editor NGRThe Editor NGR
  • Homepage
  • News
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Business & Economy
  • Opinion
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

El-Rufai’s Wife Drags ICPC to Court, Demands ₦2 Billion Compensation

May 24, 2026

‘We Won’t Vote Atiku’ — ADC Youth Leaders Back Amaechi for 2027 Presidency

May 24, 2026

Rivers: How Fubara made history – Jega

May 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
The Editor NGR
  • Homepage
  • News
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Business & Economy
  • Opinion
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
The Editor NGR
You are at:Home»Business & Economy»CBN Extended Deadline For Use Of Old Naira Notes Due To Fear Of Revolt By Frustrated Nigerians
Business & Economy

CBN Extended Deadline For Use Of Old Naira Notes Due To Fear Of Revolt By Frustrated Nigerians

theeditorBy theeditorJanuary 30, 2023No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Emerging reports have revealed that CBN extended the deadline for use of old Naira notes due to fear of revolt by frustrated Nigerians.

 

 

 

The Editor Nigeria had earlier reported that the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, finally bowed to pressure on Sunday after vowing not to extend the January 31 deadline for the swap of the old naira notes.

 

 

 

 

 

This online newspaper recalls that CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele, last Tuesday, at a meeting of the Monetary Policy Committee in Abuja, ruled out the postponement.

“Unfortunately, I don’t have good news for those who say we should shift the deadline. We do not see any reason to begin to talk about a shift. We believe 100 days is more than adequate,” Emefiele had said.

 

NEWSONLINE NIGERIA gathered on Sunday that security reports indicated that Nigerians were increasingly furious over the non-availability of the new naira notes.

 

The anger grew as people in the informal sector which has the highest population of workers – market men and women, traders, artisans, farmers, transporters, hawkers, etc, complained of slow sales and patronage.

 

A source said the Federal Government and the CBN had no choice than to bow to the masses who may decide to revolt.

 

“I don’t know why they delayed the shift till now, it should have been before the weekend. See how everyone was panicking about the cash shortage.

“On Friday, Muslims were complaining that the government was starving them of money. Today, some Pastors openly expressed frustration that people are getting stranded.

 

“So religious leaders, their followers, and others are not happy with the CBN. Look at all the pressure and criticisms from all corners. Security reports favoured an extension,” he disclosed.

 

A survey in Lagos by NEWSONLINE NIGERIA confirmed the challenges people had to bear in the past week in efforts to withdraw from Automated Teller Machines, ATMs.

 

It was discovered that many banks across the State limited the withdrawal limit for cards owned by other banks to as low as N4,000.

 

 

 

Residents living on the Mainland and Island confirmed the adjustment, with one narrating the stress he went through before he was able to get money which was insufficient.

 

“I live in Lekki but the places to withdraw cash were few on Friday night. The branches available had only one ATM working with very long queues.

 

“I drove to VI and could only withdraw N4,000 from a Heritage Bank branch. They said that’s the limit for other banks. Since I use Zenith Bank, I went to their ATM Gallery on Ajose Adeogun.

 

“There you can withdraw up to N30,000 with their card but the limit for other banks is N5,000. I stayed in the queue but when it was almost my turn, there was no money left. Everyone left disappointed”, said Kingsley, a company staff.

 

The currency scarcity is compounded by the fact that Point of Sale, PoS, operators also do not have enough cash to cater for demands.

 

But the naira scarcity took another dimension when the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu declared that the situation was planned to reduce his electoral chances.

 

“Hide the petrol, hide the naira, we will still vote! We will win,” the former Lagos governor said last week at a campaign rally in Abeokuta, capital of Ogun.

 

“Even if you change the ink on naira notes, what you want will not happen. We will win. That umbrella party will lose. We will take this government from them, saboteurs that are dragging power with us.”

 

Despite saying “this government”, Tinubu later rubbished comments by the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, and its presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar that the outburst was targeted at President Muhammadu Buhari and his administration.

Old Naira Notes
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Previous ArticleNigerian Newspaper Headlines & Naija News Today, Monday 30 January 2023
Next Article NPower Stipend Payment News For Npower Batch C2 Today, 30 January 2023
theeditor
  • Website

Related Posts

BREAKING: Traders Shut Lagos Int’l Trade Fair Complex Over Planned Govt Takeover

March 11, 2026

Rivers Assembly rejects four commissioners nominated by Fubara

March 9, 2026

Breaking: Protest hits northern Nigeria over k!lling of Ayatollah

March 2, 2026

Comments are closed.

Demo
News

BREAKING: Governor Bala Mohammed Repotedly Fixes Date To Join APC

March 16, 2026 Politics

BREAKING: Traders Shut Lagos Int’l Trade Fair Complex Over Planned Govt Takeover

March 11, 2026 News

Rivers Assembly rejects four commissioners nominated by Fubara

March 9, 2026 Editor's Picks

Senator Yayi Sponsors 2000 Indigent Student’s WAEC Fee

March 5, 2026 Opinion

Breaking: Protest hits northern Nigeria over k!lling of Ayatollah

March 2, 2026 News

Ogun: I’m not in guber race to step down – Iyabo Obasanjo replies critics

March 1, 2026 News

INSECURITY: Zamfara State Adopts Colombia’s Strategic Model To Tackle Insurgency And Banditry

February 25, 2026 News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai on February 25

February 20, 2026 News
Don't Miss

El-Rufai’s Wife Drags ICPC to Court, Demands ₦2 Billion Compensation

By theeditorngrMay 24, 2026

A fresh legal battle has emerged between the family of former Kaduna State governor, Nasir…

North Carolina’s Lieutenant Governor Had Some MLK Day Thoughts on Race

January 25, 2020

Walmart raises starting hourly wage to $12 in 500 stores, as part of a test

January 25, 2020
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

About Us
About Us

About Us
At Theeditor NGR, we believe that journalism should inform, inspire, and empower. Founded with the vision of delivering accurate, timely, and engaging stories, we are committed to keeping our readers at the heart of every headline.
- Our Mission: To provide clear, fact-based reporting that cuts through the noise and helps our audience understand the world around them.
- Our Coverage: From breaking news and in-depth investigations to culture, technology, and lifestyle, we bring diverse perspectives to the stories that matter most.
- Our Values: Integrity, transparency, and community. We hold ourselves accountable to the highest standards of journalism while embracing innovation in digital storytelling.
- Our Promise: Whether local or global, we deliver news that is relevant, reliable, and accessible — because an informed society is a stronger society.

We're accepting new partnerships right now.

Email Us: info@theeditorngr.com
Contact: +2348132055844

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

El-Rufai’s Wife Drags ICPC to Court, Demands ₦2 Billion Compensation

May 24, 2026

‘We Won’t Vote Atiku’ — ADC Youth Leaders Back Amaechi for 2027 Presidency

May 24, 2026

Rivers: How Fubara made history – Jega

May 23, 2026
Most Popular

El-Rufai’s Wife Drags ICPC to Court, Demands ₦2 Billion Compensation

May 24, 2026

North Carolina’s Lieutenant Governor Had Some MLK Day Thoughts on Race

January 25, 2020

Walmart raises starting hourly wage to $12 in 500 stores, as part of a test

January 25, 2020
© 2026 TheeditorNGR
  • Homepage
  • News
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Business & Economy
  • Opinion
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.